Home remedies for cold
We want to explain you how you can make some home remedies for cold. It is very common that we or someone in our family has the symptoms of a common cold: runny nose, dry throat, sore throat and cough. In fact, the children has eight or more colds per year, this contagious viral infection that affects the upper respiratory tract, is the most common infectious disease and the main reason of consultation the doctor and school absence. But this disease affects not only the children, but to people of all ages.
Most of colds are caused by the rhinovirus which are invisible droplets present in the air we breathe or the things we touch. There are more than 100 different rhinoviruses with the ability to penetrate the nose and throat and cause a reaction of the immune system. This reaction can cause sore throat, headache, or make it difficult to breathe through the nose.
The dry air. The atmosphere created by the cigarette smoke reduces the body’s resistance to infections caused by viruses that cause colds. Smokers are more likely to catch cold than non-smokers; and it is possible that their symptoms are more severe, longer lasting and is probably that this people have bronchitis or even pneumonia.
The first symptoms of a cold are usually sore throat, runny nose, and sneezing. Headache and mild fever can also appear.
Colds are very contagious during the first 2 or 4 days. The cold can get it by inhaling virus particles dispersed in the air by sneezing or coughing, or by direct contact with another person.
All the cold usually disappears by itself in about 7 days, perhaps with a few persistent symptoms, like as cough, for another week. If the cold is more longer, it´s possible that this may be a sinus or allergy problem.
- There are many home remedies to control symptoms of a cold. More importantly is the good food and rest to improve. Fruits and seasonal vegetables are very good. In fact, the citrus fruits are very rich in vitamin C, that serve to prevent and combat colds.
- It is important to eat a light meal and drink a lot of liquid, because this helps to make the mucus more watery and therefore, easier to evacuate. Broths, soups, juices, teas and water.
- The hot drinks help to relieve the symptoms of the cold. They serve for calm the cough and the itching of throat. Herbal teas, Tea lemon, Chamomile or any other drinkgs are very good for this.
- The lemon has vitamin C and has properties to combat these symptoms. Bring the chunks of lemon with the peel and then added a little honey. Honey is a natural expectorant and soothes the throat. A syrup natural to combat the excesses of cough is prepared by boiling onions about 15 minutes, then add lemon juice and two tablespoons of honey. You can take during the day.
- Make vapour water to breathe better. Humidify our house is of great help and you only need to boil water in a pot. To make vapour water you must put hot water in a bowl, lean over it with a towel on his head and sucks the vapour water. During the suction, close your eyes and do not too near the face to not burn yourself. You can add to water seeds of eucalyptus, lemon or Mint.
- To combat the chills, you can drink an orange juice with a little bit of cinnamon, and add hot water and honey. You can also drink tea with thyme leaves to avoid chills. Thyme tea is also a good expectorant.
- To help unclog the nose, you mix a little salt with hot water. Place a few drops of this solution in each nostril, then you blow your nose gently. This remedy improves breathing and gives sense of relief.
- Another option are ointments to apply on the chest and back. Mix 1/4 cup of coconut oil and add 10 drops of peppermint oil, 10 drops of eucalyptus oil and the same amount of lemon oil; mix everything very well. At room temperature it becomes to solidify and is now ready to put it on chest and back.
- Gargling serves to relieve nasal congestion and sore throat. Mix a tablespoon of sea salt into 3 cups of warm water. With this solution you can gargle to relieve sore throat.
- Honey has antibacterial, antiviral and antioxidant properties so it is the perfect remedy. If you mix the honey with lemon or green tea, its effect is greater. Use honey in your tea or gargling with water or pure lemon. Honey is recommended if you have cough or throat infection.
- There are some foods that cause mucus and is better not eat them when you is cold. Some of these foods are corn, milk, cheeses, any food with sugar, butter, fried food, soybean and oil. On the other hand, there are foods that help us find better. These foods are cauliflower, garlic, celery, onion, lemons, pineapple, ginger and all dark green vegetable.
What do you need
- Rest, drink liquid and eat healthy
- Lemon, honey, thyme, eucalyptus, salt water
- Coconut oil, oil mint, oil eucalyptus and oil lemon
- Cauliflower, garlic, celery, onion, lemons, pineapple, ginger and all dark green vegetable.
- Keep the humid environment of the house is very good for colds. Place eucalyptus leaves in bolling water so steam invade your house.
- Keep rooms ventilated.
- Get rest, stay at home to not infect others people and you avoid changes temperature.